Join FOX 2 and St John Providence for a 21 Day Challenge all designed to help you get fit!
St. John Providence cardiologists tell us there are three steps to good heart health. Our challenge is designed with those in mind.
STEP #1: KNOW YOUR NUMBERS
Do you know your blood pressure, blood sugar, body fat and BMI? Knowing your numbers is an important first step toward a healthy lifestyle.
Numbers to know:
BP 120 / 80
Total Cholesterol - less than 200
BMI Less than 25
Women: Below 35 in.
Men: Below 40 in.
Body Fat Normal Ranges
18-39 Years 21-33%
40-59 Years 23-34%
18-39 Years 8-20%
40-59 Years 11-22%
STEP #2: INCREASE PHYSICAL ACTIVITY
Get a pedometer and walk! Join us in tracking steps and shoot for 10,000 a day! Work up to 150 minutes of moderate intensity a week. That's 20 minutes a day. Moderate intensity means your heart rate is up but you can still talk, like walking briskly.
STEP #3: IMPROVE YOUR DIET & REDUCE YOUR WEIGHT!
5 do's – 5 don'ts – 5 pounds!
• Lean proteins (chicken, fish, low fat dairy)
• Whole grains (brown rice, quinoa, oatmeal)
• Water (Shoot for 64 ounces daily)
• Soda (Diet and Regular)
• Salt (Stay below 2400 milligrams of sodium per day - TIP: Choose foods with a lower % DV — 5 to 10% or less)
• White Flour Products (White bread, white-flour pasta)
• Fried Foods
• Sweets (Limit added sugars). For women 6 teaspoons (25 grams) added sugar per day, adult men 9 teaspoons (36 grams)
Optional Don't: Alcohol! Let's face it, alcohol can be high in calories and can bring on those dreaded alcohol-induced munchies!
Be a part of our challenge through our FOX 2 Facebook Group - join today and become a part of a community all dedicated to our 21 Day Challenge!
We thank our partner in this project, St. John Providence, and the experts who are sharing their knowledge to help us all be more fit!
And, our chef's hat off to Chef Paul Penney who is always ready with great ideas on how to make simple swaps - and he's a part of our 21 day challenge facebook group! www.aussieinthekitchen.com