Barricaded situation ends with officer injured, suspect dead

After roughly 3 hours a barricaded gunman situation was over, a suspect dead and a police officer shot as a result of the tragic incident.

The day started with the suspect, 25-year-old Caso Jackson opening fire on a house early Saturday. Kelvin Warren and his wife were inside the house when Jackson opened fire. "He's been threatening us for the last 3 weeks and he told my wife i'm gonna save a place in hell for you."

Warren's wife of 40 plus years is recovering in the hospital from glass shards to her chest after he says Jackson came to their Freeland Street home and shot twice through their bedroom window.

Utica Warren, Jackson's sister says "we came over here and he was already in the house waving it at everybody. I guess he couldn't take the fact that she was leaving him." Family member say the two had been experiencing marital issues recently.

We're told Jackson then went to his wife's home on nearby Strathmoor on Detroit's west side and took her and four others hostage.

A 23-year-old, their one-year-old, a one-month-old baby and a 15-year-old.

Amon Warren is that 15-year-old. Warren describes what Jackson was saying to him during the standoff. "He just said say good bye to your momma and take care of your little sister and that was it"

Jackson eventually released all the hostages except his wife Malikh who recently filed a personal protection order against him.

Negotiators thought the stand-off was close to ending when Jackson came out. But Jackson then made a decision that would cost him his life. He proceeded to climb on top of an armored vehicle and opened fire.

Detroit Police chief James Craig said Jackson literally jumped off the front porch in possession of a shot gun started firing north of the residence where swat officers were deployed.

A Detroit police officer was hit in the face during the shooting, his helmet likely saving his life.

Jackson died as a result of the gun fire.

Malikh who remained inside the home when the bullets started flying made it out scared but safe. Those who know them are grateful more people weren't hurt or killed.

Police say the investigation is far from over. They will now focus on interviewing those involved and collecting evidence from the scene.

Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in - includes Advertiser Stories