(WJBK) - It's football season and we spoke with some experts on how to provide a pet friendly tailgate.
Joining FOX 2 is Sarah Hanscom, general manager of Pet Supplies Plus in Royal Oak.
They have provided the following tips:
1. Keep Your Pups' Belly Full - The best plan is to bring plenty of fresh water for your pet and enough of his/her favorite dog food and treats to keep his belly full and appetite satiated. That will make it easier for them to resist the savory, flavorful, and fragrant temptations of the grilling burgers, hot dogs, steaks, sausages, etc. The representative can suggest products to bring all your supplies in along with good-travel sized snacks.
2. Keep Your Pup Leashed - This is for their own safety. There are just too many moving cars and people around to take such a chance, and you never know when something might accidentally spook a dog. The representative can suggest proper leashes for different sized dogs, along with other forms that ensure you're dog stays close by and out of trouble.
3. Dress Your Pup Up - Dress up your dog in team colors. Your viewers will be dressing up in team colors, so why shouldn't your dog? If your dog isn't much for wearing doggy jerseys or t-shirts, then try a bandana. Remember, it's game day - it's time for them and their furry pals to show some team spirit! Detroit sports fans can enjoy many different apparel options - from the Lions to the Tigers, all the way to the Wolverines!
4. Bring Them the Right Toys - Balls, sticks and flying discs are some of the best dog toys to have around. You can even get your friends involved and make a game of it. The representative can suggest/show some of the most popular toys on the market today.
5. Pack a First-Aid Kit - Some basic supplies can help save a life if something should go wrong. A kit should include items such as gauze, nonstick bandages, towels, clean cloth, adhesive tape, hydrogen peroxide, milk of magnesia, activated charcoal, digital thermometer, eye dropper and muzzle. The representative can show you exactly what the kit should include to ensure pet owners have everything they need.