This falafel pita recipe comes courtesy of Debra Levantrosser from Shimmy Shack, a vegan food truck. For more information on the truck, visit www.shimmyshack.com
Shimmy's Falafel Pita
2 cans garbanzo beans (aka chick peas)
1/4 cup diced red onion (or more if you really like onion!)
1/8 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Pinch of cumin
Pinch of coriander
Pinch of salt
1 garlic clove, minced
¼ cup gluten free flour
Pinch of black pepper
1/8 cup ground flax seed mixed with ¼ cup cool water
1. Dice the onion, set aside.
2. Mince the garlic, set aside.
3. Grind the flax seed, set aside.
4. Process chickpeas in a food processor (do in batches).
5. Place chopped chickpeas in a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
6. Add the flax seed (already mixed with cool water)
7. Form patties or balls
8. Grill as patties or deep fry as balls
Serve with sliced tomato, garlic sauce and lettuce on a grilled gluten free bun. Or in a warm grilled pita with lettuce, garlic sauce and sliced pickles.