(WJBK) - Passover begins this year on the eve of Friday, April 22. During Passover foods plays an integral role, most notably at the traditional Passover Seder. The Seder is a fifteen-step family-oriented tradition and ritual-packed feast full of unique Passover foods.
Itty Shemtov, program and education director at The Shul Chabad Lubavitch, and Hunny Khodorkovsky from De Cuisine at Soul West Cafe West Bloomfield, joined us on The Nine to give us a healthy take on pizza.
1 medium Cauliflower
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh basil
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 Garlic clove
pinch Red pepper flakes
1/4 cup Mozarella Plus more for topping.
3 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup Marinara Sauce
1. Place a pizza stone or cookie sheet in the oven and preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Cut all the florets from the cauliflower and pulse them in a food processor for about 1 minute.
Cauliflower will look like snow when its done. Transfer the cauliflower to a microwave safe
bowl, cover and microwave for four minutes. Remove from microwave and let it cool for about 5
3. Transfer cauliflower on top of a cheesecloth or dishtowel. Ring out as much liquid as you can.
This step is the key to getting the best crust.
4. In a bowl add salt, basil, oregano, garlic, crushed red pepper flakes, Parmesan and mozzarella.
Pour cauliflower into the mixture and mix. Add in the egg and mix until all ingredients are
5. Place a large piece of parchment paper on a flat cookie sheet or cutting board and spray with
olive oil or cooking spray.
6. Place dough in the center of the parchment paper and using your fingers press down to form a
round pizza crust.
7. Slide the parchment off the cookie sheet or cutting board onto the pizza stone. Bake for 1112
minutes. Remove from oven.
8. While crust is in the oven, prepare the sauce and any desired toppings.
9. Mix together cream cheese and marinara sauce.
10. Cover pizza with marinara and sprinkle cheese on top. You can add any toppings that you
desire (mushrooms, jalapeno, kale, tomatoes, basil, zucchini, olives etc.…)
11. Bake for an additional 56
12. Remove pizza from oven, allow it to cool for a few minutes and serve.