(WJBK) - Gleaners Community Food Bank has been fighting hunger across southeastern Michigan for decades. Not only does Gleaners help feed children in the community, but they also teach kids and their families how to cook and make healthier choices with their food.
Cooking Matters Chef Jake Williams joins FOX 2's Amy Andrews to show us a healthy, easy recipe on this Double Your Donation Day. You can find his recipe for Asian Noodles with Peanut Butter Sauce below.
Normally $1 provides three meals but on Tuesday, April 19th $1 will provide 6 meals for children. To donate, call 1-855-315-FOOD, or visit www.gcfb.org.
ASIAN NOODLES WITH PEANUT BUTTER SAUCE
Serves 8, 1 cup per serving
1 (16 ounce) package whole wheat pasta
¼ cup peanut butter
⅓ cup warm water
¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
2 Tablespoons cider vinegar
4 teaspoons sugar
1 bag frozen vegetables, such as broccoli or snow peas, thawed
Optional Ingredients: 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
1. Cook pasta using package directions. Make sauce and veggies while pasta cooks.
2. In a medium bowl, combine peanut butter and warm water. Stir into a smooth, thin sauce.
3. Add soy sauce, vinegar, and sugar. Mix until sugar dissolves. If using, stir in red pepper flakes.
4. In a microwave-safe bowl, add thawed frozen veggies and ½ cup water. Steam in microwave for 3-5 minutes. Drain any excess water.
5. Pour peanut sauce and steamed veggies over cooked, drained pasta. Toss to combine. Serve warm or cold.
Top with sliced cooked chicken breast, firm tofu, or chopped peanuts if you like.
Top with any heated leftover veggies you like.
Add ½ teaspoon minced garlic or minced ginger to peanut sauce.
Try garnishing with rinsed and chopped green onions, cilantro or lime wedges.