This recipe for quinoa and white bean burgers comes courtesy of Chef Pam Gustairs.
Quinoa and White Bean Burgers
½ cup (3-1/4 oz.) red or white quinoa, rinsed and drained
1 15-oz. can white beans, drained and rinsed
1/3 cup rolled oats
¼ cup pine nuts
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons fresh thyme
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon Sriracha in place of Dijon mustard (optional if a little heat is desired)
Garnish as desired
1. Bring a 3-quart saucepan of water to a boil. Add the quinoa, reduce the heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 12 minutes.
2. Drain and rinse thoroughly with cool water. Drain well, pressing against the strainer with the back of a wooden spoon. Remove as much water as possible.
3. Transfer quinoa to a food processor and add the beans, oats, pine nuts, mustard, Worcestershire, thyme, fennel seeds, lemon zest, 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Process to a thick, smooth paste.
4. With wet hands, form into eight ½-inch-thick patties if making burgers. Smaller patties can be made if serving over greens.
5. Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet.
6. Add the patties and cook, flipping once, until browned on both sides, about 8 minutes total.
7. Serve hot on burger buns or over Arugula with a light drizzle of vinaigrette.