This recipe for French Toast Strata comes courtesy of Chef Jim Oppat from Andiamo. To find an Andiamo restaurant near you, visit www.andiamoitalia.com
Baked Custard For French Toast Strata
Yield: 1 each 9x13 pan
1 qts. ½ & ½
4 oz. Granulated Sugar
7 each Whole Eggs
1 each Vanilla Bean
½ tsp. Salt
1. Combine the ½ & ½, sugar, vanilla bean and salt together and bring to the high simmer.
2. In separate moon bowl, whisk eggs until frothy.
3. Temper together by slowly adding the boiling crème to the whipped eggs to gradually raise their temperature.
4. Reserve for late use in the appropriate recipe.
French Toast Strata
1 recipe Baked Custard from Above with Pumpkin Puree
1 each 2 # Loaf Cinnamon Swirl Bread, ¾" slice thickness
1 cup Dried Fruits
As needed butter, softened
1. Butter both sides of the bread and reserve.
2. In greased baking dish, shingle the buttered bread making sure there are no large gaps.
3. Pour half of the vanilla custard over the top and allow bread to absorb custard thoroughly.
4. Sprinkle the layer with dried fruits (cherries, cranberries, raisins, apricots, etc.)
5. Repeat with the rest of the bread slices, shingling the other direction, making a two-layer dish with the fruits in the center.
6. Pour the remaining custard over the top and allow to bread to soak up all of the custard, about 20-30 minutes.
7. Cover with aluminum foil and bake in a water bath (on a cookie sheet filled with water) at 350 F for about 25 minutes or until set.
8. Remove the foil and allow to caramelize on top. Allow to cool slightly before cutting and serving.
9. Present with powdered sugar and syrup.