(WJBK) - This recipe for caramelized onion dip comes courtesy of Chef Louis Poulos. Karl's Cabin is on Gotfredson Road in Plymouth. You can get more information on the restaurant at www.karlscabin.com.
3 pounds yellow onions
2 tbs unsalted butter
pinch kosher salt
1) Clean onions and cut in half lengthwise through the core.
2) Lay cut side flat on cutting board with the core side facing you, julienne onions into 1/4" slices by following the lines on the onion. Repeat for all onion halves.
3) Place julienned onions, butter and salt in a pot on the stove at medium/low heat until onions wilt and release liquid, stir occasionally.
4) Raise heat to medium high. Let onion liquid boil and stir onions frequently scraping the bottom of the pot not letting them get charred, until all liquid evaporates.
5) Reduce heat to medium, stir onions often until done. They are done when the color turns dark caramel brown, they stick to the sides of the pot when stirring and they taste like candy.
6) Will yield approximately 1 cup of caramelized onions.
Caramelized Onion Dip
1 lb sour cream
1/2 cup caramelized onions chopped fine
1 tbl kosher salt
1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
1/2 lemon juiced
Combine all ingredients and mix well, chill and serve with your favorite chips or veggies.