(WJBK) - Fourth of July is more than just burgers and dogs.
Jared Kirkman whipped up a new type of summer meal in the FOX 2 kitchen.
Blackened Walleye and Shrimp w/ Citrus Aioli
2 7 oz Walleye fillets
6 each 16/20 count Shrimp, peeled and deveined with tail on
2 bamboo skewers, 8” long
1 tablespoon Blackening Spice
Pinch of sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
5 spritz of extra virgin olive oil
1 whole lemon, cut in half
2 tablespoon citrus aioli
1. Fire up the grill to 400°F.
2. Place the fish and shrimp on a flat tray.
3. Place three shrimp on each skewer through the thick, head end. (This will make them easier to handle)
4. Sprinkle both sides of the fish and shrimp with blackening spice, sea salt, and black pepper. Ensure both sides have been evenly coated.
5. Spray the hot grill with extra virgin olive oil. Spray the fish and shrimp as well.
6. Place the fish on the grill at 2 o’clock position and cook 1-2 minutes. Use a spatula to rotate the fish to 10 o’clock position. Cook an additional 1-2 minutes.
7. Flip the fish over carefully and repeat step 6.
8. After flipping the fish, place your shrimp on the grill. Grill each side for 1-2 minutes.
9. Place the lemon halves on the grill for 1-2 minutes until they have light caramelization.
10. Transfer the fish, shrimp, and grilled lemons to a serving platter.
11. Drizzle each fish fillet with 1 TBSP of citrus aioli. Plate each fish with a grilled lemon half and serve immediately.
Ingredients for citrus aioli:
2 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1 cup mayonnaise
1. Mince the garlic cloves.
2. Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a small sauté pan until hot.
3. Sauté the garlic 30-60 seconds or until soft and translucent.
4. Allow the sautéed garlic to cool to room temperature.
5. Zest the orange and lime. Next, juice the orange and Lime.
6. Combine the cooled garlic, orange zest and juice, lime zest and juice, and mayonnaise in a mixing bowl.
7. Whisk well to fully combine. Refrigerate until ready to use.