(WJBK) - This week, two local chefs will compete in the 12th Annual Iron Chef Competition to benefit Gleaners Community Food Bank of Southeastern Michigan.
The competition is Thursday, August 11 at Bordine's Nursery in Brighton. Tickets are $50 and can be purchased at www.ironchefevent.com. Doors open at 6 p.m.
This year's competitor is Chef Jeffrey Bane challenging last year's champion, Chef Eirik Kauserud. In addition to making food for the competition, both chefs prepare dishes for public tasting to get votes as the 2016 Iron Chef Fan Favorite.
Chef Eirik Kauserud joined us in the FOX 2 Cooking School to share a recipe with us. You can find his recipe below.
Last year's competition raised more than $100,000 for Gleaners to provide more than 300,000 meals.
Recipe: Rainbow Carrots Appetizer
Rainbow Carrots (2) each color ; Red, yellow and orange
3 oz Candied Pecans
1 oz goat cheese
1 oz arugula
Balsamic glaze for garnish
1. Wash carrots well. Peel and reserve peels if desired for carrot powder
2. Either sous vide in vacuum sealed bag @ 190 deg F for 1.5 hours or shallow poach or steam till al dente. Reserve cooking liquid
3. Allow everything to cool for 2 hours or overnight
4. To reheat add cooking liquid and carrots (cut to preference) to a medium-high heat pan
5. Turn carrots frequently to apply the natural reduction sauce evenly. Reduce to slight syrup consistency
6. Between parchment paper lightly smash pecans into crumbles
7. To plate: Small bed of arugula, arrange carrots as desired and top with pecan crumble, goat cheese and balsamic glaze