(WJBK) - Calexico began as a food cart in New York City, and it was only a matter of time before it became a popular restaurant with several locations across the city.
Now, Calexico has opened their first location outside of the Big Apple -- right here in Detroit.
The new restaurant is downtown at 1040 Woodward Avenue, right near Campus Martius Park.
Calexico's food combines familiar Mexican favorites like tacos, burritos and margaritas with the bold flavors and fresh ingredients of California cuisine.
You can get more information or check out a menu at www.calexico.net.
Calexico Detroit's executive chef, Jason Gardner, joined us in the FOX 2 Cooking School with lead bartender Sean May to tell us more about the restaurant and show us some of their dishes. You can watch in the video player above.
They also shared a recipe for you to make a Calexico wet burrito at home. You can get their recipe below.
1. To Complete Burrito, toast the tortilla in a pan while melting the cheese blend in the center of the tortilla. Ladle 6oz of Mexican rice and 3oz of cooked black beans long ways on top of the cheese. Add 5oz of diced cooked and diced Carne Asada, 2oz fresh pico, 3oz Avocado Sauce. Fold in two ends leaving a 2 finger space between and start to roll the bottom end of over the filling. Keep tight and ends closed and roll until completely sealed.
2. Red enchilada sauce or Tomatillo sauce 4 Oz
3. Monterey jack cheese 2 Oz 4 Oz Spoodle
4. Sour cream sauce 1 Oz 2 TBL
5. Cilantro, freshly chopped 1 tsp
Take a sizzle plate and add ¼ Oz of oil to the sizzle plate.
Place the burrito seam side down on the oil.
Top burrito with 2 oz. red enchilada sauce or tomatillo sauce. (if a half and half ladle 1 oz of each sauce at opposite ends of the burrito).
Sprinkle Monterey cheese on top of sauce.
Place the sizzle plate under the salamander for 30 seconds or until cheese is melted and remove.