(WJBK) - The changing weather makes you just want to cozy up with hearty, warm foods. Stick-to-you-rib dishes don't have to add to one's waistline, though.
Autumn means delicious root vegetables, squashes and other fall produce. Registered Dietitian Mona Alaudhi from Better Health Stores joins us in the FOX 2 Cooking School to show us how we can cook with some of these good fall veggies. You can get her recipe for jalapeno spaghetti squash below.
To find a Better Health Store near you, visit www.thebetterhealthstore.com.
SAVORY JALAPENO SPAGHETTI SQUASH
- 1 small spaghetti squash, about 2 1/4 pounds
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 2 Tablespoon diced jalapeño in water
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon raw pumpkin seeds
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise and place, cut side down, in a baking dish. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Using a spoon, remove the seeds and discard. Using a fork, gently pull the strands of squash away from the peel and place the squash strands into a large mixing bowl.
- In a sauté pan, add the coconut oil and onions. Cook 3-4 minutes until translucent. Add , spaghetti squash, thyme, jalapeno, garlic powder, salt and pepper and toss thoroughly but gently to heat and combine.
- Top with pumpkin seeds.
- Serve warm.
FALL VEGETABLE SALAD
- 1 butternut squash peeled and diced into small cubes;
- 3 parsnips, sliced;
- 1 large beet, peeled and diced into small cubes
- 1 large red onion, sliced;
- 1 large red pepper, sliced;
- 1 clove garlic, minced;
- 10 cups baby spinach leaves;
- 1 cup chickpeas, cooked
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinaigrette (see recipe below);
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 450 F.
- To make the dressing, combine all ingredients in a food processer.
- In a large bowl, toss the vegetables with 2 tablespoon s of dressing.
- Bake vegetables in a baking sheet for 35-40 min or until tender.
- In a large bowl, toss cooked vegetables, chickpeas, spinach and dressing together.
- Serve warm or cold.