(WJBK) - Chef Jim Oppat from Andiamo joined us in the FOX 2 Cooking School to share another recipe with us. You can get his recipe below for veal meatloaf with mushroom veloute.
To find an Andiamo location near you, visit www.andiamoitalia.com.
Veal Meatloaf with Mushroom Veloute
- 2 Tbls. Olive oil
- 2 Tbls. Butter, whole
- 3 cups Onions, small dice
- 2 Tbls. Garlic, minced
- 3-4 sprigs Fresh thyme
- 2 tsp. Oregano, dried
- ½ tsp. Allspice, ground
- 1.5 cups Heavy crème
- 3 lb Veal, ground, leg muscle preferred
- 3 each Eggs, whole lightly beaten
- 1 cup Breadcrumbs, finely milled
- ½ cup Parsley, chopped
- ½ cup Tomato paste, pince
- As needed Salt and pepper
1. Melt the butter and oil and sauté the onions with the garlic, thyme, oregano and allspice until translucent.
2. Add the heavy crème and reduce by half.
3. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
4. In large mixing bowl, combine the veal, cooled crème mixture, eggs, breadcrumbs, parsley and tomato paste.
5. Season with salt and pepper and pre-cook a small amount to taste so the seasoning can be adjusted.
6. Bake either in a greased loaf pan or hand-form into a rectangle on a greased tray.
7. Bake at 350 °F until the internal temperature reaches 165° F.
8. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing and covering with the mushroom veloute.
- 2 quarts White chicken stock
- 2 cup Assorted mushrooms, cleaned and sliced or quartered
- as needed Pale roux
- as needed Salt, white pepper
- as needed Lemon juice
- as needed Heavy crème
1. Heat stock to the high simmer. Whisk in the roux, small amounts at a time, until the sauce has a nape consistency.
2. The sauce must then cook at a very low setting for 20-30 minutes to allow the roux to cook out.
3. Strain the sauce through a chinois and return to the heat.
4. Add the mushrooms and allow them to poach in the sauce.
5. Season accordingly with crème, lemon juice, salt and pepper.