(WJBK) - You can get a free slice of Liberty Pie from Grand Traverse Pie Company on Election Day. Just show up to one of their many locations and show them your I Voted sticker.
Liberty Pie locks in the great flavors of our "red and blue" berries. You can also get the company's recipe below to make the pie on your own at home.
For more information on Grand Traverse Pie Company and to find a location near you, visit www.gtpie.com.
- 1-9" pie shell (your favorite store bought or handmade)
- 2 rounded cups frozen blueberries
- 3 rounded cups of frozen tart cherries
- ½ cup mix (4T sugar, 2 T flour)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 cups of your favorite crumb topping (we use oatmeal, brown sugar, sugar, butter and cinnamon)
- Another 9" shell to cut the flag's stripes
- 3 star cutouts for the flag's design
- Place frozen blueberries on the bottom of the 9" pie shell
- Add cherries on top of blueberries
- Add flour, sugar and vanilla
- Pour into bowl and toss to mix
- Pour back into pie shell
- Top with your favorite crumb topping
- Cut top according to picture below
- Lay strips 1-5 across pie as pictured below. Make sure to line up the straight ends of pieces 4&5
- Place 3 stars as pictured below
- Wrap any overhang under edge of tin and trim off if necessary
- Bake at 350 degrees for 90 minutes