(WJBK) - We're here to help you jazz up your dessert selection this holiday season.
Starlett Simmons with Five Star Cake Co. joined us in the FOX 2 Cooking School to show us how to prepare their pecan praline apple pie. You can find their recipe below.
For more information on Five Star Cake Co., visit www.fivestarcakeco.com.
PECAN PRALINE PIE
Ingredients for one double-crust 9 inch or 10 inch pie:
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour.
- 1 teaspoon salt.
- 2 Tablespoons sugar.
- 3/4 cup (a stick and a half) unsalted butter, chilled, cut into 1/4 inch cubes.
- 1/2 cup of all-vegetable shortening (8 Tbsp)
- 6-8 Tablespoons ice water
Apple Pie Filling
- 6 cups thinly sliced, peeled apples (6 medium)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg or cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Heat oven to 425°F. Place 1 pie crust in ungreased 9-inch glass pie plate. Press firmly against side and bottom.
- In large bowl, gently mix filling ingredients; spoon into crust-lined pie plate. Top with second crust. Wrap excess top crust under bottom crust edge, pressing edges together to seal; flute. Cut slits or shapes in several places in top crust.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until apples are tender and crust is golden brown. Cover edge of crust with 2- to 3-inch wide strips of foil after first 15 to 20 minutes of baking to prevent excessive browning. Cool on cooling rack at least 2 hours before serving.
- ½ cup pecans
- 1 stick butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
Bring butter, cream, and sugar to a boil
Place topping on top of the pie 5 minutes before it's done.