(WJBK) - The Junior League of Detroit is hosting its annual Holiday Jubilee at Eastern Market on Friday, December 2.
The Holiday Jubilee benefits Cass Community Social Services' Tiny Homes project. Guests will enjoy food from Chef Bobby Nahra and live music from Motor City crooner Ben Sharkey. Chef Bobby joined us in the FOX 2 Cooking School to give us a preview of the food. You can get his recipe for bacon ball appetizers below.
A VIP hour is from 6-7 p.m., and doors open otherwise at 7 p.m. Every ticket purchased for this year's Holiday Jubilee includes an opportunity to win a watch from Shinola donated by George Koueiter Jewelers in Grosse Pointe.
Tickets start at $100 and can be purchased at www.jldetroit.org.
CHEF BOBBY'S BACON BALLS
- 2 Cups chilled mashed potatoes
- 1 Egg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Block of sharp cheddar cheese, cut into one-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- Package of center-cut bacon
- Oil for frying
- spicy ranch is great
1. Mix mashed potatoes with egg, salt and pepper.
2. Push a cube of cheese into a scoop of the mashed potato mixture and roll into a ball.
3. Roll ball in dry bread crumbs.
4. Next, wrap with bacon and secure with a toothpick.
5. Using caution, fry ball in a deep pot filled with at least two inches of hot oil (350° works best). Depending on the depth and width of your pot, you may find you can fry more than one ball at a time.
6. Fry until evenly golden (you may even see a little melted cheese).
7. Drain balls on paper towel and serve with dip.