(WJBK) - Trying to keep yourself or your family healthy and balanced this stressful holiday season? Staff members at Detroit Waldorf School would like to help.
DWS staff members Jade Fearn and Katherine Feldhouse are hosting a healthful holidays workshop on Monday, December 5. The free workshop will cover balanced seasonal eating and how to incorporate dietary restrictions into delicious, healthy holiday meals.
Jade and Katherine joined us in the FOX 2 Cooking School to give us a preview of some of their recipes. You can get their recipe for Butternut Squash Mac & Trees below.
The workshop is from 5-6:30 p.m. Detroit Waldorf School is located at 2555 Burns Avenue, which is near Charlevoix Street and Van Dyke.
WELLNESS AT WALDORF’S BUTTERNUT SQUASH MAC & TREES
Soy, Dairy, and Egg-Free, Gluten-Free Optional
20 min prep, 20 min cook time. 40 min total
- 1 1/2 cups butternut squash, peeled and chopped into cubes (boil or microwave a few minutes to soften prior to peeling to ease process)
- 1 cup steamed or roasted broccoli florets
- 1/2 large sweet onion, chopped
- 16 oz package macaroni noodles, cooked (gluten-free noodles can also be used)
- 1/4 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight or in hot water for at least 30 minutes
- 1/4 tsp finely minced garlic
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- 2 pinches black pepper
- Dash of paprika
- Dash of turmeric
- Sprinkle of nutmeg
- Add butternut squash and onions to a pot and cover with at least an inch of with water. Bring to a boil, turn down heat and simmer until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, cook macaroni noodles according to package directions. Reserve 1/4 cup cooking liquid right before draining. Place noodles back in pot and set aside.
- When squash and onions are soft and tender, drain and add them to a blender or food processor with the soaked cashews, lemon juice, salt, mustard, garlic nutritional yeast, black pepper, smoked paprika, turmeric, nutmeg and ¼ cup cooking liquid. Blend on high setting until completely smooth. Use additional water or almond milk to thin sauce if necessary.
- Add butternut squash sauce to the macaroni noodles, stirring to making sure every noodle is covered in sauce. Add broccoli, give another stir and enjoy!