(WJBK) - With an ever-evolving food scene here in Detroit, keeping up with decadent decisions is sometimes hard. You can get a little help from the experts, though, at an upcoming event.
Detroit Metro Times is hosting Flavor on December 5. The event is an interactive, entertaining sample of Detroit-centric cuisine.
Food from more than 20 leading restaurants will be there to sample, along with a premium lineup of beer, wine and spirits.
The event is at the Garden Theater in Midtown from 7-11 p.m. You must be 21 and older to attend. Tickets start at $30, and include a commemorative rocks glass, 10 drink tickets, and unlimited food samplings. You can get tickets at www.mtflavor.com.
Participating restaurants include Catch 22, Coach Insignia, Crazy Gringo Mexican Cantina, Detroit BBQ Company, Detroit Dog Co., Detroit Catering Company, Jim Brady's Detroit, Kouzina Greek Street Food Royal Oak, Louisiana Creole Gumbo, Mr. B's Pub Royal Oak, 22nd Street Steakhouse, Novi Chophouse, Om Cafe, Plaza Deli Cafe, Metro Detroit Deli Provisions, Rock City Eatery, Three Blind Mice, and Wok Asian Bistro.
The head chef, Serafin Yanez, from Crazy Gringo Mexican Cantina joined us in the FOX 2 Cooking School to show us a sample of their food. Check back their Gringos Pastor Tacos recipe below:
GRINGOS PASTOR TACOS
Yield 6 to 7 tacos
- 1lb pork tenderloin
- 1/2 white onion
- 1glove garlic chopped finely
- 1/2tsp ground chili huajillo
- 1/8tsp achiote Mexican spice seasoning
- 2tsp crushed pineapple
- 2tsp fresh orange juice
- 1/8tsp ground cumin
- 1/8tsp ground ginger
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 fresh limes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2tbsp oil
- Cut pork loin into small strips (set aside)
- Mix all ingredients together to make a marinade
- In large bowl mix together to marinate over night for best flavor
- In sauté pan heat oil in medium heat
- Sear pork until crispy brown on the outside and tender inside
- Prepare corn tortillas on flat grill to warm
- Cut cilantro fine to garnish
- Dice white onion to garnish
- Cut fresh lime into quarters
Prepare Taco on corn tortillas with pastor cilantro and onions
Squeeze lime on top and enjoy