(WJBK) - A simple piece of candy isn't so simple for those following a vegan diet. So, Debra Levantrosser from The Shimmy Shack joins us on The Nine to give us some pointers when it comes to buying and making vegan treats.
VIDEO: Debra shows us how to prepare vegan junior mints. You can find her recipe and other helpful tips below.
Not sure if that piece of candy is okay to eat? Here is a helpful graphic to know which ingredients to watch out for in candy.
VEGAN JUNIOR MINTS
½ cup shredded coconut
5-10 drops peppermint extract
Dash of almond milk or soy milk
Vegan chocolate, melted
1. Blend coconut in blender/food processor until smooth
2. Add peppermint extract and milk
3. Roll the mixture into small balls and place on a plate with wax paper
4. Freeze for 20-30 minutes
5. Dip balls into the melted chocolate
6. Freeze at least 10 minutes
Makes 20 small junior mints