This recipe comes courtesy of Grizzly Peak Brewing Co.'s Chef Miguel de la Torre Ruella. Grizzly Peak Brewing Co. is in Ann Arbor. You can learn more about them at www.grizzlypeak.net
Hard Cider-Infused Cheddar Fondue Recipe
6 quarts of heavy cream
1 yellow onion - fine dice
3 bottles Hornsby Hard Cider
Pinch cayenne pepper
12 oz. butter
12 oz. flour
2 tablespoons kosher salt
2 teaspoon black pepper
3 pounds cheddar cheese - shredded
1 pound mozzarella cheese - shredded
1. In a heavy stock pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onions and sauté until translucent. Add the cayenne pepper and paprika. Mix in to coat the onions.
2. Add the flour to make a roux. Cook for 5 minutes.
3. Add the whipping cream and hard cider in a slow, steady stream while whisking into the roux. Cook over medium heat until thickened. Cook 5 minutes over low heat to cook the flour taste out of the sauce. Remove from heat.
4. Add the cheeses and burr the mix until cheeses are melted and blended and the sauce is smooth.
5. Cool, transfer to a clear plastic container with lid. Refrigerate.