(FOX 2) - One easy way to make mom feel special this Mother's Day is to treat her to a nice brunch of yummy dinner.
Mario Camaj and Kyle Schuette from Besa in Detroit joined us on The Nine to tell us more about their Mother's Day specials.
You can watch in the video player above as they prepare a special French toast, and get their recipe below.
STUFFED FRENCH TOAST
cinnamon-whipped cream cheese, strawberry jam
Cinnamon-Whipped Cream Cheese Filling
Cream Cheese 680 g
Heavy Cream 60 ml
Brown Sugar 20 g
Ground Cinnamon 0.65 g
Ground Allspice 0.25 g
Kosher Salt 0.5 g
1. In a countertop mixer, whip the cream cheese until softened.
2. Reduce the whipping speed to low and slowly incorporate the cream and then the rest of the ingredients.
3. Transfer the whipped cream cheese into a piping bag and hold under refrigeration until needed.
French Toast Custard Batter
Eggs 1,000 g
Brown Sugar 400 g
Ground Cinnamon 12 g
Ground Allspice 0.2 g
Kosher Salt 8 g
Heavy Whipping Cream 4 liters
1. Puree the eggs, sugar, cinnamon, allspice and salt in a blender until completely smooth.
2. Transfer the egg puree to a large mixing bowl and whisk in the cream.
3. Reserve the custard under refrigeration until needed.
Strawberry & White Balsamic Jam
Pureed Strawberries 4 liters
Granulated Sugar 170 g
White Balsamic Vinegar 175 ml
Thyme Leaves (finely minced) 3 g
Pectin 11 g
Kosher Salt 1 g
1. Combine all the ingredients in a large sauce pot.
2. Over a medium-low heat, reduce the jam to 1000g.
3. Push through a fine mesh sieve and cool under refrigeration.
Strawberries (¼" dice) 500 g
White Balsamic Vinegar 50 g
Extra Virgin Olive Oil 15 g
Thyme Leaves (finely minced) 2.5 g
Ground Black Pepper 0.25 g
Kosher Salt 1 g
1. Toss together all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and reserve under refrigeration.
Spiced Maple Syrup
Maple Syrup 1,000 ml
Water 250 ml
Mint Stems (hand torn) 10 g
Thyme 15 g
Cinnamon Sticks 15 g
Black Peppercorns 5 g
Orange (quartered) 1 each
Lemon (quartered) 1 each
1. Combine all the ingredients in a sauce pot and bring to a boil over high heat.
2. When the syrup reaches a boil remove it from the heat and allow it to cool to room temperature.
3. When the syrup has cooled to room temperature, transfer it to a nonreactive container and store under refrigeration overnight.
4. Strain the syrup through a fine mesh sieve.
French Toast (4 portions)
Brioche Pullman Loaf 1 each
Prepared Cream Cheese Filling as needed
Prepared Custard Batter as needed
Butter 100 g
1. Using a bread knife, trim the edges from the pullman loaf. Cut the bread in half widthwise into 2 cubes. Cut each cube corner to corner to form 4 wedges.
2. Leave the trimmed wedges of bread out at room temperature overnight to allow the bread to air-dry (this will allow the bread to soak up more custard).
3. On the inside of each wedge of bread scoop out the center using a large tablespoon. Fill this void with the cream cheese filling.
4. Pour the custard batter into a large shallow baking pan. Soak each side of the stuffed bread wedges in the batter for 30 seconds on each side.
5. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Melt some of the butter in the skillet. When the butter begins to froth begin caramelizing the bread on each side. When each side is golden brown transfer them to a sheet tray/baking sheet. This step can be done a day in advance.
6. When you are ready to serve, preheat an oven to 350˚F. Toast the prepared bread in the oven until it is soft in the center (about 12-15 minutes). While the bread toasts warm the syrup over medium heat.
7. When the French toast is warmed through serve with strawberry jam, strawberry salsa and warm syrup if desired.