(WJBK) - Fall can be cold and damp and nutrition is key to staying healthy during this change of season.
Chef Bobby joined us in the FOX 2 Cooking SChool and shared with us a perfect seasonal recipe that is packed with nutritional value. The fall soup contains much-needed potassium and the anti inflammatory ingredient ginger root.
For more information on Chef Bobby and his food, visit www.lakelandbanquets.com.
CHEF BOBBY'S SPICY SWEET POTATO AND BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
- 3tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 2 cups diced carrot small dice
- 1 Small Leek White part only, Washed and sliced
- 2 Tart Granny Smith apples peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Freshly Grated Ginger root.
- Coarse salt and ground pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 medium sweet potatoes (1.5 pounds total), peeled and cut
- 1.5 pounds of Butternut Squash peeled and diced
- 1/2 to 1 chipotle chile in adobo, chopped
- 9 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Sour cream,
- White Truffle Oil,
- Green Pumpkin seeds,
- Smoked Cheddar Grated,
- Toasted flour tortilla wedges, for serving Garnish (optional)
- In a large heavy pot, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high. Add onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook until beginning to brown around edges, about 7 minutes. Add cumin and garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in sweet potatoes, Butter nut squash, chile, and broth. Bring to a boil; reduce to a rapid simmer, partially cover, and cook until squash and sweet potato can be mashed easily with a spoon, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Let soup cool slightly. Working in batches, transfer soup to a blender and puree until smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids). Invest in a stick blender.
- Return pureed soup to pot over low heat and season with salt and pepper. Top soup with sour cream, Truffle oil, Pepitas " Green Hull Pumpkin Seeds" and serve with tortilla wedges, if desired.