(WJBK) - This recipe comes courtesy of Chef Robert Nahra from Lakeland Banquet and Event Centre in St. Clair Shores. For more information, call (586) 772-0450 or visit www.lakelandbanquets.com.
Chef Bobby's Tomato Confit
The definition on confit is for the substance to be completely immersed in its own rendered fat? and slow cooked etc? and then even preserved in its own fat. putting some oil on some tomatoes and putting them in the oven does not generally mean its confit. However it's a term that is used when slow cooking or drying tomatoes in olive oil sea salt and Herbs.
6 medium tomatoes Pick colorful tomatoes
6 sprigs of basil
1 sprig rosemary
3 sprigs thyme
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced lengthwise
3/4 cup olive oil, plus more for storing tomatoes. Use the highest quality olive oil you can afford!
It makes a huge difference.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Bring a large pot over water to a boil over high heat. Prepare an ice-water bath; set aside. Cut a small X into the bottom of each tomato. Add tomatoes to boiling water for 10 seconds. Immediately transfer tomatoes to ice-water bath using a slotted spoon; let cool. Peel and core tomatoes.
3. Place basil sprigs and garlic slices in the bottom of a small baking dish. Top with tomatoes, core side down. Sprinkle with salt; drizzle with olive oil.
4. Transfer tomatoes to oven and bake until lightly browned and tender, about 50 minutes. Let tomatoes cool before transferring to an airtight container. Cover tomatoes with olive oil and refrigerate, covered, up to 5 days.
This amazing accoutrement can be utilized for so many different applications in the culinary world and in your kitchen.
1. The confit makes a great garnish for broiled, Breaded baked or sautéed fish such as Snapper, Whitefish, Orange Roughy and Sole. The list goes on and on.
2. Lemon pepper marinated grilled chicken breast. Grill the chicken breast. Slice the chicken breast on a bias lay over wild rice and top with the tomato confit.
3. Chop tomatoes and toss them in a medium salad bowl and add Creamy Feta Cheese. Lay on top of Romaine hearts or Hydro Bibb lettuce.
4. After all the tomatoes are used reserve the olive oil and tomato juice in the jar. This liquid make a great salad dressing too.
Enjoy the good stuff tomorrow isn't promised!