This recipe was given as reference as part of Gleaner's Double Your Donation Day. If you make a donation on Tuesday, October 6, it will be doubled by Weingartz. Click here for more information.
1 cup brown rice
1/2 pound broccoli
2 medium celery stalks
1 medium carrot
1 small jalapeno or other chili pepper
1 clove garlic
6 ounces boneless chicken pieces or firm tofu
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
2 Tablespoons canola oil
1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1. Cook rice following package directions. Set aside. Cover to keep warm. While rice is cooking, make veggie mixture.
2. Rinse and chop broccoli and celery. Peel, rinse and chop carrots. Rinse and mince jalapeno. Peel and finely chop garlic.
3. If using chicken, remove any skin. Cut chicken into small pieces.
4. In a small bowl, stir together soy sauce, brown sugar and cornstarch. Add 1 teaspoon of the minced jalapeno. Stir.
5. In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add ground ginger and stir. Add chicken or tofu. Cook, stirring occassionally, until slightly browned and starting to cook through, about 2 minutes.
6. Add chopped veggies. Stir frequently. Cook until veggies are tender and chicken is completely cooked but not dry, about 5-7 minutes.
7. Add soy sauce mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer until sauce is slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
8. Serve over warm brown rice.