(WJBK) - Saturday, January 23 is National Pie Day and Grand Traverse Pie Company is celebrating in a couple different ways. The company is rolling out a new flavor, Apple Honey Pie, and giving out free pie slices. You can find more details on that below.
VIDEO: Mike Busley, co-founder of Grand Traverse Pie Company joins us in the FOX 2 Cooking School to show us their new pie flavor, Apple Honey Pie. You can find his recipe below.
On National Pie Day, each Grand Traverse Pie Company location will be give out a free slice of Michigan fruit pie (Apple Crumb or Cherry Crumb) with any purchase. Grand Traverse Pie Company has 15 locations. You can find one near you at www.gtpie.com/locations/.
Apple Honey Pie Recipe
(9" deep dish, lattice top)
1. Start with your grandma's pie dough recipe. Or pre-made pie dough from your local grocery is fine too. You will need dough for the bottom of a 9 inch pie pan and for the equivalent of a 9 inch top.
2. Toss the following ingredients in a nice large mixing bowl:
- About 6 cups of peeled, cored, sliced tart Michigan apples
- About 1/4C Michigan all purpose flour
- About 1tsp cinnamon
- A dash of salt
- About 1tsp of vanilla
- 1 pat of butter
3. Pour ingredients from step 2 into 9 inch pie pan lined with dough.
4. Drizzle ¾ - 1 Cup of Michigan honey over the apple mixture.
5. Place a flattened 9 inch pie dough round on a cutting board and wash it with your choice of egg white, apple juice, or just plain water.
6. Cut this dough into 8 one inch wide strips (this is your lattice topping).
7. Lay these strips across the top of the apple honey mixture, 4 strips horizontal and 4 strips vertical to create the lattice. If you want to be extra fancy you can inter-weave the strips.
8. Stand back and admire your creation.
9. Smell the apple, cinnamon, vanilla, and honey - yum!
10. Bake this wonderment in your oven at 350 for approx 90 minutes while savoring the smells of your beautiful pie.
11. Invite some special friends and family to your kitchen table and serve this warm with vanilla ice cream. Don't forget to drizzle honey on your slice of pie and ice cream.
12. Enjoy, thinking about how fortunate we are to have bees in our lives!