(WJBK) - After popular demand, Jay Towers is finally sharing his secret pumpkin seed recipe.
We've been swooning over these crunchy, salty, flavorful pumpkin seeds and wondering what his secret is. He gave a small sampling to FOX 2's Deena Centofanti, and her husband and coworkers quickly gobbled them up.
Here's his recipe -- enjoy!
JAY TOWERS FAMOUS PUMPKIN SEEDS
- 1 Stick Butter
- 1 Splash of Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon All Natural Sea Salt FINE
- 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/2 Tablespoon Paprika
- 1/2 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Tablespoon Ground White Pepper
- The seeds of 1-2 Pumpkins
- Clean Pumpkin seeds in a large colander separating seeds from pumpkin pulp. Drain well and put in large bowl.
- Melt butter in a small bowl. Stir in all of the seasoning and add the splash of olive oil
- Stir the oil/butter mix into the bowl of seeds coating them.
- Dump the seeds covered in mix onto a large baking pan, spreading the seeds evenly over the pan.
- Put into the oven at 350 degrees. Flip and stir the seeds starting every 10 minutes and then more frequently until the seeds are toasted brown and the mixture is coated onto the seeds. The seeds are done when the wet mixture is gone and the seeds are toasted and brown.
- Dump seeds on to multiple plates covered in paper towel to soak up any excess oil.
* Note from Jay
This is just general guideline to my recipe. You can use more butter or less butter, or more or less of any seasoning based on what you like. You don't have to dump the entire mix on the seeds if you like them less coated. The splash of oil really helps these to get brown. Don't forget to flip and stir often towards the end of baking, ensuring that they don't get burned.