This recipe comes courtesy of Michael and Matthew Romine from Mulefoot Gastropub in Imlay City. The restaurant is a creation of two brothers who have their their passion for cooking with fresh local ingredients to the next level.
The food is prepared in a farm-to-table style with products from local farmers. For more information on the restaurant, visit www.themulefoot.com
MISO MARINATED CHICKEN
Preparing the Chicken
1 Whole Chicken, cut into 8 pieces
½ - ¾ C. Miso Paste.
1 T. White Wine Vinegar
1 T. Finely chopped Jalapenos
Salt and pepper to taste
Gently season the chicken with salt and pepper, keeping in mind that the miso paste will add some salt to the dish. Rub the remaining ingredients evenly onto the chicken and transfer to a zip top bag. Squeeze as much air out as possible. Store in the refrigerator for 48 hours.
For the Breading
1/2 C All Purpose Flour
1/2 C Whole Wheat with Bran
1 C Spelt Flour
1 tsp Smoked Paprika
1 tsp S&P
Blend all ingredients and set aside until you're ready to fry the chicken.
For the buttermilk:
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 ¾ C. Buttermilk
¼ C. Water
Puree all ingredients. Set aside until you're ready to fry the chicken.
To Fry the chicken:
1. Remove the chicken from the bag, rub off any excessive marinade.
2. Dip the chicken into the flour mixture
3. Dip the chicken into the buttermilk mixture and gently shake off excess.
4. Dip the chicken into the flour for a second time and shake off excess flour.
5. Deep Fat fry in lard at 300-325 degrees until you have reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees and the breading is golden brown.