(WJBK) - The Rust Belt Market in Ferndale is holding a pop-up dinner this weekend on Saturday, December 10. Komodo Kitchen and Woodberry Wine will be bringing the excellence in food and drink while you listen to live jazz by The Cory Allen Trio.
You can get more information at www.rustbeltmarket.com.
Gina Onyx from Komodo Kitchen and Sean Sutton from Woodberry Wine joined us in the FOX 2 Cooking School to give us a preview of the menu. You can get Gina's recipe for lamb gulai, one of the courses at the dinner, below.
KOMODO KITCHEN'S GULAI KAMBING GUMBIRA / INDONESIAN LAMB STEW
- 500 gram stewing lamb, soaked with lime juice and pineapple skin
- 4 kaffir like leaves
- 2 bruised lemongrass
- 1 inch galangal root
- 750 ml coconut milk
- 250 ml coconut water
- 1 tsp raw cane or palm sugar
- 1 tbs salt
- 6 tbs Kecap Manis (Indonesian soy sauce)
- 2 tbs coriander seeds
- 4 inches turmeric root
- 10 candlenuts
- 1 tbs cumin
- 4 inches ginger root
- 5 garlic
- 10 small shallots or 3-5 banana shallots
- 2 tbs chili paste
- Wash and soak lamb with lime juice and pineapple skin for 15 minutes. Drain and marinate with gulai paste 4 hour to overnight.
- Brown the marinated lamb until the aroma from the paste is pungent.
- Then add coconut milk, coconut water, kaffir like leaves, bruised lemongrass, galangal root. Bring to boil. Stir often.
- Reduce heat to lowest heat setting and cook for 4-8 hours.
- Add salt, sugar, and Indonesian Kecap Manis.
Garnish with pineapple chunks and pomegranate seeds and fried shallots.