(WJBK) - Chefs Michael Barrera and Brennan Calnin from Townhouse Birmingham and Townhouse Detroit, respectively, join us on The Nine to talk about what makes their burgers so good. They shared their recipe with us, too, although they're still staying mum on their ground beef mixture.
2 pounds Ground Beef *
4 Brioche Buns
1 cup Townhouse Bourbon Glazed Onions
8oz Shredded sharp white cheddar
3oz Plugra (or other high quality) Butter
Salt and Pepper
*A note on Beef
At Townhouse we use very high quality beef, dry aged and ground specifically for us by our meat packers. We mix and patty our proprietary blend of beef by hand, in house, every day. The cuts we use in our burger give it what we consider to be the absolute best textures and flavors possible. Experiment with different cuts on your own and you might find that you've been cooking the perfect burger meat the wrong way all along.
1. Mix your ground beef thoroughly by hand and portion into 4 - 8 ounce patties. Making sure they're around 2 inches thick.
2. Place your burgers on a rack and season liberally with salt and pepper
3. Cook burgers on medium high heat on a griddle or char grill for around 4-5
4. Slice buns in half. Place 3oz of butter in a pan on medium heat and toast buns cut side down until golden brown.
5. Flip burgers and cook for another 4-5 minutes or until around 130F
6. Remove burgers from griddle/grill and place on baking sheet.
7. Top each with a heaping scoop of Bourbon Glazed Onions and shredded sharp white cheddar and place in broiler until cheese is completely melted.
8. Place burgers on toasted buns and enjoy.
You can learn more about Townhouse's Birmingham and Detroit locations at www.eatattownhouse.com.