The fifth annual Grosse Pointe Restaurant Week is underway and offers something for every food lover's taste buds. More than twenty restaurants are participating this year, including Garrido's Bistro & Pastry.
Owner Vanessa Gonzalez, and her husband, Chef Christopher Garrido, visited the Fox2 Studios Saturday with a sampling of some of their most popular menu items and shared some of their favorite recipes.
Lomo Saltado (Peruvian Stir-Fry Steak)
- 8 oz. beef tenderloin steak, trimmed
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic (2-3 cloves garlic, minced)
- 1/4 cup green onion, cut in rings
- 1/4 cup red onion, cut in 1/2- thick strips
- 1 tbs. red wine
- 1 firm roma tomato, cut in 8 wedges
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- Pinch salt
- Pinch ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. french cilantro or parsley, finely chopped
- French Fries and/or cooked rice, for serving
- Cut the beef tenderloin steak into thinner steaks lengthwise. Then, cut into strips crosswise.
- Heat olive oil in a pan at high heat. Add garlic and saute briefly; then add green onion and saute briefly; last, add red onion and saute briefly.
- Add the steak strips, and saute just until they are seared on all sides.
- Deglaze with the red wine.
- Add the tomato wedges and saute, being careful not to crush the tomato.
- Add soy sauce, and lower heat to medium. Stir for about 30 seconds, add salt and pepper to taste and check the seasoning.
- Serve warm over french fries or rice.
- Top with minced cilantro or parsley. (Cilantro is preferable, because it gives the dish a fresh taste.)