Football season is well underway, and that means fan tailgates are too.
Chef Annabel Cohen, of Annabel Cohen Cooks Detroit, dropped by the Fox2 Studios Saturday morning with props courtesy of Event Bliss in Franklin to share some of her favorite and easy-to-make recipes.
Easy Open-Faced French Bread Pizzas
- 3 hoagie rolls or soft baguettes
- Your favorite Marinara sauce
- Olive Oil
Toppings of choice:
- Fresh or grilled vegetables
- Caramelized onions
- Fresh chopped or roasted garlic
- Cooked Proteins: Cooked ground beef, cooked sausage, bacon, chopped chicken, etc.
- Sliced or pitted olives
- Fresh herbs: Basil and dill are good choices
- Your favorite cheese or cheese blend
- Preheat oven to 425℉. Have ready a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Cut the breads in half lengthwise. Spread with Marinara sauce (not too much!) and place the breads on the baking sheet.
- Top with your favorite toppings. Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 10-15 minutes until the cheese is melted and bread are golden.
- Drizzle with olive oil and serve hot or at room temperature.
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 3 cups good quality salsa
- 1 can (about 15 ounces) cooked beans, any variety, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup tomato juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Hot sauce (such as Tabasco) or ground cayenne pepper to taste
- Shredded or crumbled cheese: Cotija, Monterrey Jack, Cheddar are all good choices
- Sour cream
- Chopped scallions, white and green parts
- In a large saucepan, cook the beef and onion over medium-high heat, crumbling it as you cook, until meat is no longer pink. Drain, if needed.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 30 minutes or more.
NOTE: To make this vegetarian, use "vegetarian" burgers. No need to cook. Just crumble the burgers into the pan, add the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook for 30-minutes.
Seasoned Kettle Chips
- 1 bag kettle chips, plain or salted
Seasonings of choice - use just one or comine seasonings.
- Black pepper
- Cayenne pepper
- Truffle Salt
- Granulated garlic
- Dried Dill (or other herbs)
- Marash pepper
- Sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- Have ready a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Arrange the chips on the baking sheet (in as much of a single layer as possible).
- Sprinkle with seasonings and bake until very golden. Allow to cool before serving. Makes varied servings.
Click here for more information about Chef Annabel and additional recipes.