These recipes are courtesy of Chef Jim Oppat of Andiamo:
Ingredients: for 2 quart yield2 oz. Pancetta, chopped
As needed Salad oil
8 oz. Onions, diced
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1 lb. Beef shank meat, small dice
(You may use beef, venison, turkey, veal or pork)
1/4 oz Hungarian Paprika (4 Tablespoons)
2 Tb Flour
1 Tb Tomato paste
1 1/2 qt. Brown Beef stock
1 Standard Sachet d' Epices to include 1 tsp. Thyme
1/2 tsp. Caraway seeds, 1 Bay leaf, 1/2 tsp. Marjoram
1/2 tsp. Peppercorns
1 cup Potatoes, peeled and diced small
1 cup Mushrooms, quartered
as needed Salt and pepper to taste
Garnish: Potato gnocchi, sour cream dollop and grated lemon rindMethod:
1. In a heavy bottom soup pot or crock render the pancetta with some oil over low heat.
2. Raise the heat to medium. Brown the meat and remove to set aside. Add the onions and sauté until light brown. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute.3. Add the paprika and sauté' the mixture briefly.
4. Add the flour and tomato paste and stir them in well.5. Add the stock and Sachet d' epices. Bring the mixture to a simmer. Return the meat to the pan and simmer slowly for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the meat is tender.
6. Add the potatoes and continue simmering the soup until all of the ingredients are very tender.7. Adjust the seasoning to taste with salt and pepper. At the time of service.
Garnish with par-cooked gnocchi, small dollop of sour cream and grated lemon zest.
Fregola with Shrimp, Cilantro and FetaIngredients:
4 Garlic, cloves
1 Jalapeno’ pepper, seeded
1 cups Fresh Cilantro
1 cup Cream
1 ½ Tbs. Lemon juice
8 oz. Butternut squash, peeled, diced
1 lb. Cooked shrimp, peeled and cleaned
4 oz Feta cheese
1/3 cup Kalamata olives, pitted, sliced
½ cup Diced tomatoes
As needed Salt and Pepper to taste
1. With a food processor running, drop the garlic, and jalapeno and chop fine. Add the cilantro and chop fine. Add cream and mix using the on and off button. Scrapping sides of processor, until blended and thick. Add lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Meanwhile cook the couscous in a large pot of boiling salted water, adding squash to pasta after five minutes, cook until the pasta and the squash are tender but still firm to the bite.3. Drain. Place the shrimp, cream mixture, feta cheese, tomatoes and olives in a bowl.
4. Pour the hot pasta and squash in a colander then on top of the shrimp mixture.5. Cover with saran and let the heat of the pasta warm all of the ingredients.
Lemon Thyme Dumplings
Ingredients:1 lb. Cake flour
4 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Ground Sage
2 tsp. Fresh Thyme, Chopped
1/4 tsp. Marjoram
pinch White pepper
2 tsp. Sugar
1 Tb. Lemon rind grated
1 1/2 to 2 cups Milk (Variable)Method.
1. Mix all dry ingredients together, add herbs and lemon rind.
2. Add Milk and mix lightly. Do not over mix. It should have the consistency of a stiff batter.
3. Scoop Dumplings with a small Ice cream Scoop into Simmering Stock or on top of the stew. Cover and steam until tender.
2 quarts White chicken stock
2 cup Assorted root vegetables (carrots, parsnips, celery)
as needed Pale roux
as needed Salt, white pepper
as needed Lemon juice
as needed Heavy crème
1. Heat stock to the high simmer. Whisk in the roux, small amounts at a time, until the sauce has a nape consistency.
2. The sauce must then cook at a very low setting for 20-30 minutes to allow the roux to cook out.
3. Strain the sauce through a chinois and return to the heat.
4. Add the mushrooms and allow them to poach in the sauce.
5. Season accordingly with crème, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
1 qts. Whole Milk
1 qts. Heavy Crème
12 oz Sugar
½ Cup Gelatin, Granulated
1 each Vanilla Bean
1 each Roasted pumpkin from below
1. Bring all ingredients to a boil in a small saucepan while constantly whisking.
2. Add the roasted pumpkin puree to achieve desired taste.
3. Add flavoring if desired, pour into molds and chill thoroughly before service.
4. Serve topped with cranberry chutney.
Roasted Pumpkin Puree
1. For the above recipe use 1 small pie pumpkin that has been thoroughly washed and halved.
2. Remove all of the seeds and loose strands.
3. Season the cavity with brown sugar and place in baking dish cut side down.
4. Add small amount of water and wrap tightly with foil.
5. Roast in 350 F until tender.
6. Scoop out the flesh from the skin and puree into the above mixture.