This recipe is courtesy of Chef Jim Oppat of Andiamo:
12 each Scallops, jumbo sea (dry packet)
As needed Salt and pepper
½ cup Pistachios, pulsed in food processor
1 fl. oz. Olive oil
1 Tbls. Butter
- Heat the olive oil and butter in skillet over medium heat.
- Dust the scallops with salt and pepper and crust on one side with chopped pistachios.
- Sear in hot skillet, the crusted side first, flip and finish cooking until the scallops are cooked medium, just warm in the center.
- Present around risotto below.
- Garnish with high quality shaved Parmigiano Reggiano.
Root Vegetable Risotto
2 oz Leeks, diced
2 oz Celery, diced
6 oz Onion, diced
2 cloves Garlic, minced
3 oz Butter
14 oz Arborio rice, washed
1 cup White wine
4-5 cups Stock or broth
4 oz Parmesan cheese
8 oz Butternut squash, diced and roasted
8 oz Spinach, fresh baby
As needed Salt and pepper to taste
As needed Parmesan cheese
- Place the butter in a thick heavy bottom pot and sweat the celery, onions, leeks, garlic and saffron until the onions are transparent.
- Add the rice, stir it well. Cook until lightly toasted and nutty aroma is present.
- Deglaze with the white wine.
- Add 1/3 of the stock while stirring frequently until the stock is absorbed.
- Add the remaining stock in two or more additions stirring frequently.
- Cook the risotto until the rice is al-dente and most of the liquid is absorbed. The texture should be creamy.
- Add the shrimp, mushrooms, tomatoes and asparagus, cover and let steep until the seafood is cooked.
- Finish the risotto with the black truffle slices, then adjust the seasoning and texture with salt, pepper and parmesan cheese before service.