Good food and tasty treats are part of the fun of Valentine's Day and can sometimes be important ingredients for celebrating the holiday the right way. From sensual mood food to desserts that can satisfy any sweet tooth, Chef Kelli Lewton, owner and executive chef for 2 Unique Caterers & Event Planners, has you covered. She visited Fox2 Saturday morning and shared some of her favorite Valentine's recipes.
- 2 medium firm avocados~diced
- 2 plum tomato tomatoes' ~diced
- 1 heaping TB minced red onion
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- Juice of 1 lime about 2 TB
- 2 Tablespoons mayo
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Pinch of cayenne
Gently fold all ingredients then serve with breads & crackers. Make sure to keep the avocado seed. If you don't eat all the guacamole, drop the seed back in the bowl before you cover it and place it back in the fridge. The seed will help the dish from spoiling so fast.
Warm Artichoke Spread/Fondue
- 1 cup artichokes hearts~ chopped coarsely
- ½ onion diced fine
- 1/4 ounces white wine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ small red pepper diced
- 1/4 cup fresh spinach cut in thin strips
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Sprinkle of fresh ground black pepper
- 4 leaves of basil cut in small fine strips
- ¼ cup organic mayo
- ¾ cup cream cheese ~soften
- ¼ cup Parmesan Cheese
1. Heat olive oil over medium heat, add diced onions and sauté for a couple minutes. Add artichokes and deglaze with white wine, let reduce for an additional couple of minutes, stir in spinach and let wilt, pull from heat and cool mixture.
2. Beat cream cheese add mayo and parmesan cheese.
3. Fold in artichoke mixture.
4. Serve with crepes, crostini's, crackers, veggie or pita chips.
Magic Love Bars
- 1 3/4 cups chocolate graham cracker crumbs
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 &1/2 cups Peppermint Marshmallows
- 1 3/4 cups Peppermint Crunch Baking Chips
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. 2. In a mixing bowl, blend the graham cracker crumbs, sugar and butter. Press the mixture into a greased 9x13 baking pan. Bake for 7 minutes. 3. Remove from oven and pour the condensed milk evenly over the graham cracker crust. Put the pan back into the oven and bake for about 10 minutes, or until it is golden and bubbly.
4. Remove the pan from the oven and immediately sprinkle the marshmallows, Andes mints and chocolate chips on top. 5. Put the pan back in the oven for one last time, baking for just 3 minutes until the marshmallows start melting. 6. Once the magic bars have cooled to room temperature, put them into the refrigerator to set for about 30 minutes. 7. In a microwave safe bowl, melt the semi-sweet chocolate chips. 8. Drizzle the melted chocolate over top the magic bars. Cut into squares or bars.
Interactive Kid Valentine's
1. Make rice krispie treats in ½ sheet tray. (Follow recipe package) Use different colored marshmallows or add Valentine's Day themed food colors such as pink or red when you melt marshmallows. Fruity krispies chocolate are also a fun idea!
2. Take ½ sheets of prepared treats and cut into fun Valentine's Day shapes such as X & O's, hearts, letters etc.
3. Embellish with heart candies and sprinkles by using melted chocolate or royal icing as your "glue"
4. Make or Purchase jumbo marshmallows; dip in chocolate and embellish with themed candies and sprinkles
Check out what else Chef Kelli has to offer on her website