It's National Blueberry Pie Day and to celebrate, the experts from Achatz Handmade Pie Co., wanted to share how they make the perfect blueberry pie for any occasion.
Company founder and owner Wendy Achatz dropped by the Fox2 News studios with daughter, Taryn Kreger, who managers the Beverly Hills location, to showcase some of their favorite creations.
Watch the video above, follow the recipe and click here for more information.
Achatz Blueberry Pie Recipe
Blueberry Pie Filling
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon butter
Pie Dough: Makes top and bottom crust for one pie. Mix:
- 2 ½ cup pastry flour, unbleached.
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Then Add:
- 1 cup Vegetable Shortening-(Trans-fat free)
- Or you can use ½ cup butter and a ½ cup Vegetable Shortening
- Cut room temperature shortening into flour with fingers until crumbly, yet not too blended.
- Add ½ cup chilled water.
Do not over mix at this point. Dough will be sticky. Cover with plastic wrap or wax paper and allow to set in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Mix sugar, cornstarch, salt, and cinnamon, and sprinkle over blueberries.
- Line pie dish with one pie crust. Pour berry mixture into the crust, and dot with butter. Cut remaining pastry into 1/2 - 3/4 inch wide strips, and make lattice top. Crimp and flute edges.
- Bake pie on lower shelf of oven for about 50 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
- Do not over mix at this point. Dough will be sticky. Cover with plastic wrap or wax paper and allow to set in refrigerator for 1 hour.