Students around Metro Detroit are preparing to head back to school and that means it’s time to get back into a routine.
For most parents, that means packing lunches on a daily basis. Executive Chef Jozef McDiarmid from the Better Health Store in Novi visited the Fox2 News Studios Saturday morning with some of his favorite healthy breakfast and lunch solutions just in time for the first day of school.
Watch the video above, follow the recipe and click here for more information.
Chicken Shwarma salad
- 1 Whole, Cooked Better Health All Natural Free Range Chicken
- 1/4 cup(s) red onion chopped small
- ¼ cup (s) celery chopped small
- 1.5 cup(s) sliced cucumbers
- 1 cup diced pickles
- 1/3 cup(s) Vegannaise or mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons of cardamom
- 1/3 cup lemon juice and zest
- 1 tablespoon of chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon of cumin
- 1 Teaspoon of paprika
- 1 tablespoon of ground turmeric
- ¼ cup of chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoon of sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon of tahini
- 1/8 Tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 Tsp black pepper
For a sandwich:
- Whole Wheat Thin Style Hamburger Buns or Flatout brand whole wheat wrap or bread of choice.
- Lettuce, Tomato and Pickles
- Better Health's Hummus and Kale Quinoa Tabouli add healthys benefits to the diet
- Pull all the meat off the bones of your chicken and rough chop it or pull it into chunky shreds
- Combine with onion, cucumbers, celery, pickles in a large serving bowl.
- In a separate bowl combine the rest of the ingredients and mix well to make the dressing. Then add the dressing to the chicken mixture.
- Adjust seasoning as needed.