Mardis Gras is coming up this Tuesday and to get educated on the history of the holiday and all the delicious food associated with it Fox2 turned to the experts.
Ashley Bailey and Troy Spencer from Louisiana Creole Gumbo in Detroit stopped by the Fox2 News Kitchen to help explain the tradition and showcase some of their favorite Mardi Gras inspired meals, including the signature Po Boy.
Watch the video above, follow the recipe and click here for more information.
- 1 Loaf French Bread
- Shredded Lettuce
- Sliced Tomato
- 1 lb. Shrimp
- 2 oz. Cajun Seasoning
- 2 oz. Butter
- Mayo-remoulade to taste
- 1 cup mayo
- 4 oz. Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. Cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp. garlic, finely minced
- In a heavy-bottomed skillet, warm 1oz. butter over medium heat.
- Split the French bread in half and toast, face down in butter until slightly crisp around the edges. Remove and set aside.
- While the bread is toasting, season the shrimp with Cajun seasoning.
- Once the butter has melted, add the shrimp and sautee until it is no longer pink. Remove it from the heat.
- Add the mayo-remoulade to the bread then layer in the shrimp, lettuce and tomato. Add more mayo-remoulade, if desired. Slice, serve and enjoy.