(WJBK) - An Indiana woman has a word of caution for those who fall asleep with hair ties on their wrist. She says that caused her to develop a potentially deadly infection.
Audrey Kopp noticed a bump on her wrist that continued to grow by the day. So, she went to the emergency room and doctors said bacteria from her hair tie probably got under her skin.
Doctors had to make an incision and drain the bump.
They say sharp plastic edges on hair ties can nick your skin, and since most people don't wash their hair ties bacteria can develop on them and get under your skin.
Doctors suggest any item you wear on your skin, including hair ties, gets washed frequently.