14-year-old girl killed, another teen injured in Detroit crash

A crash in Detroit kills a 14-year-old girl and another 15-year-old teen is critically injured.

It happened at the intersection of Eight Mile Road and Evergreen. They had just stopped to get ice cream at Checkers walking west, and was hit by a van at the crosswalk, believed to have tried to beat the light.

"When I got back in my car that's when I heard bam and turned around - I saw the bodies over there on the ground," said William Felton.

Felton saw it all. He was mailing a letter at the corner when he says a van heading east on Eight Mile struck two teenage girls walking north on Evergreen on Detroit's northwest side. 

The teens had almost made it to the end of the crosswalk when they were hit so hard, the pure force knocked them out of their shoes and smashed the front end of the van.

Witnesses say the girls had just bought ice cream at Checkers. One of them got a spoon stuck in their throat. People tried to get it out, but the 14 year-old girl died from her injuries.

The 15-year-old is in critical condition at Children's hospital.

Employees of the oil exchange tried to help.

"I turned around and heard a big boom boom," said Anthony Hughes. "I saw two little girls rolling around in front of a car."

"It was just horrifying, I can't explain it," said Ali Ahmed. "The girl had something in her throat, the other unconscious, both were. By the time the ambulance got here, we couldn't get anyone to wake up."

"They had to be going pretty fast to hit them that hard," Felton said. "He might have been trying to make the light."

Police say the 55-year-old driver , who stopped right away had a valid license was not drunk. Witnesses say other cars had stopped, it appeared the driver of the van may have been trying to beat the light.

The driver has been released by police pending the investigation. 

Ahmed spoke to the driver moments after the crash.

"He claimed he didn't see them, he said they jumped out right in the middle of the street," Ahmed said. "Other people said different - that he did." 

Ken Flowers is the athletic director at Henry Ford High School, he ran to the scene when he heard what happened. He said the girls had just left cheerleading tryouts.

"Two promising young girls had their life ahead of them," Flowers said. "It's sad, real sad on the brink of our athletic banquet next week, it's just sad."
Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in - includes Advertiser Stories