Detroit city councilman Scott Benson pleaded guilty to drunk driving Friday in Southfield 46th District Court.
He was facing a super-drunk charge after being caught with a blood-alcohol level three-times the legal limit when he was stopped by police.
It's been four months since the city of Detroit took away Scott Benson's free ride and today he admitted what police reported back on June 29.
Judge William Richards asked him if was driving on Southfield Road near 8 Mile on that day, to which Benson answered in the affirmativeRichards then asked if had had something alcoholic drink earlier that day, to which he answered, "Yes, sir."
"You had a container of open intoxicants with you in the car at the time you were stopped," Richards asked.
"Yes, your honor," Benson said.
Benson was passed out behind the wheel, with a blood alcohol level of .244
Benson was charged with super drunk driving, having an open bottle of alcohol the car and refusing to take a blood alcohol test.
He came to court looking to cut a deal and he got one.
As part of his deal, Benson's super drunk charge was reduced to intoxicated for his guilty plea. A second count of having an open container in a vehicle and the ticket for refusing to take a blood alcohol test was waived.
After court, benson reported to the probation department. His license will be suspended for at least 30 more days.
He will be tested periodically to make sure there are no drugs or alcohol in his system and if he wants to go out of state, he'll need Southfield 46th District Court Judge William Richards to give him permission.
His attorney, Philip Ragan said that Benson has taken responsibility.
"This was a first step," Ragan said. "He is anxious to get this behind him and move forward."
In a statement from Benson, he apologized to his family, colleagues and the people of Detroit for "the embarrassment the unwanted attention my actions have generated."
He has also asked for prayers and says he has taken steps to ensure this will never happen again.