About this year's Tribute to Our Troops:
Since 2003, FOX 2 has honored the men and women who put their lives on the line for our country. Each year, our goal is to pay "Tribute to our Troops" from Michigan and with ties to the Great Lakes State. That tradition continues this year, as we honor our veterans who continue to inspire us, long after their service. We also focus on issues facing our veterans, including homelessness, PTSD and the unique battles for female veterans.
Here are some of the highlights from this year's program:
- President Obama presents the Medal of Honor to LTC Charles Kettles of Ypsilanti, nearly 50 years after his service. Kettles is a U.S. Army veteran. The war hero saved dozens of American soldiers in Vietnam.
- An apartment building in Detroit was renovated this year and turned into housing for homeless military veterans.
- Army veteran Joe Veyette receives a canine companion to help his struggles with PTSD.
- 22 Push Up Challenge: A movement on social media to help raise awareness about veteran suicide. We profile Greg Hollenquest, a veteran of Operation Desert Storm, who is taking part in the challenge.
- Sgt. Stephanie Shannon, a veteran of the Persian Gulf War, shares her struggles during and after her service. She founded "Michigan Women Veterans Empowerment", an organization that offers support to female veterans.
-Louisville Slugger Warriors play a softball game against a local team at Jimmy John's Stadium in Utica, MI. These players are military veterans who are suffered amputations while serving. Now, they are a traveling softball team, playing games and inspiring people all across the country.
-86 year old World War II veteran, from Detroit, goes skydiving for the first time. His entire family witnesses the jump.
-Student from the University of Detroit Jesuit serve as pallbearers for homeless veterans who have no family when they are laid to rest. These students go through training and attend the funerals for these heroes.
This year's "Tribute to Our Troops" airs Veterans Day, which is Friday, November 11th at 6:30 p.m. on FOX 2. It will also re-air throughout November and December. We will provide a link on this page for you to watch the entire 30 minute long presentation.
You can show us your Veterans Day photos on the Fox 2 Facebook page or tweet them to us @fox2news.
or call 1-800-273-8255 and then press 1
22 PUSHUP CHALLENGE:
LINK FOR WOMEN VETERANS STORY: