FOX 2 is told that someone witnessed the boy go under and 911 was called. But confusion set in when emergency crews were said to have gone to the wrong house nearby, first.
Virgil Grady was surprised when he ran upstairs to see police surround his Southfield house on west Nine Mile near Berg.
"I was in the basement," said Virgil Grady. "My wife called me and said police were at our swimming pool. They said they got a call a 5 year-old had fallen into a pool but our pool is not even open.
"They were like dragging it with pool utensils and there was nothing."
Southfield police then realized they had the wrong pool.
It was actually the house on the corner. FOX 2 was told someone witnessed a 5-year-old boy go into its algae-filled pool behind that house, a pool which hasn't been open in years.
They called Southfield police and fire who eventually recovered the child from the murky waters. The boy was rushed to the hospital and emergency crews say at last check he had a pulse.
It's not clear how long the child was under the water. For Grady, who just moved into his house, he took it as a warning to protect his 3-year-old.
"Especially because we just moved in, having security around the pool," he said. "Because she is young and curious about the water."
They were like dragging it with pool utensils and there was nothing. I said who made the call we think it was the people in this house.
FOX 2 was told it could not get an update on the boy's status until Tuesday.