Dispute over alcohol leads to shooting, suicide in Roseville

Roseville police says they're investigating a dispute over alcohol which led to a 22-year-old being found dead Sunday.

Police say at approximately 1:00 am Sunday morning dispatchers received a call from a man in the 16000 block of 12 Mile Road requesting paramedics to respond to his home as he had "shot his father", "get him help" after advising dispatchers of this fact the caller hung up the phone.

Dispatchers returned the call and the victim of the shooting answered the return call. This victim confirmed that he had been shot and that his son had done the shooting; however he did not think his son had shot him on purpose and they needed immediate help.
The man stayed on the line and dispatchers could hear the man pleading with his son to put the gun down, before stating "I think it is over".

When asked what he meant the victim stated, "I think he shot himself". Responding Roseville Officers arrived on the scene to find the now distraught father lying on the floor in the living room of the two bedroom apartment, suffering from a shotgun wound to his upper right leg. Unfortunately, Officers located the man's son, Matthew Lane, 22-years-old in the one of the homes bedrooms, dead from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.

Matthews's father was able to relate to our officers that his son had been drinking most of the evening. Shortly after midnight, Matthew had run out of alcohol and demanded money from his father so he could buy more. The two began to argue over Matthews excessive drinking during the course of the argument; Matthew attempted to take a cup filled with coins in order to purchase more alcohol. The two fought over the coins with the father eventually taking the cup of coins and placing them in his room. When he returned to the living room he found his son holding a shotgun, the man attempted to take the weapon from his son and as they wrestled over control of the gun, the weapon discharged, striking the father in the upper right leg causing him to collapse to the floor.

Matthew took the gun and went into his room where he called 911 for his wounded father. Shortly after placing this call with his father pleading for Matthew to put the gun down he heard what was later found, to be the self-inflicted gun shot that ended Matthews life.

Matthews's father was transported to an area hospital for treatment of his wounds and is currently listed in serious condition with the wound not to be considered life threatening.

Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in - includes Advertiser Stories