Fire officials: space heaters likely culprit in apartment fire

Detroit fire officials say the residents of an apartment complex near the intersection of Northlawn and Grand River are lucky to have escaped the building with no injuries after a fire broke out in the complex Monday afternoon. 

According to Detroit fire, no one was hurt but the blaze was very large, with witnesses reporting several explosions as well. 

Stan Jewell was inside the building with his two children when the fire broke out. "I went back upstairs to try and get my kids shoes on, by the time I get back downstairs I hear stuff blowing up and everything."

According to fire officials, the fire started in an apartment in the front of the building, Glynn Wright's apartment. 

"I stepped out for a moment and put my load in the van," says Wright. Then a neighbor called him to tell him his house (apartment) was on fire. 

Detroit Fire Battalion Chief William Hall says it appears space heaters may be to blame, but the exact cause won't be known until investigators can comb through every piece of evidence tomorrow. "Basically he (Wright) said he had a bunch of space heaters, so one of them may have ignited," says Hall. 

That is why Detroit Fire along with other fire officials want to caution that if you're warming up your house or apartment with a space heater, do not leave them unattended and keep them away from anything that can catch fire.

Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in - includes Advertiser Stories