A ribbon-cutting earlier this month was the culmination of a Michigan Natural Resources Trust Fund grant awarded in 2013 to build a fully accessible fishing pier, a boardwalk and a fish-feeding and viewing platform. The improved areas are open to the public.
Also, a bronze sculpture was unveiled that's donated by Deane Knox, owner and CEO of Knox Galleries. Titled "Ring of Bright Water II," the sculpture by Kent Ullberg is a likeness of two river otters.
The visitor center is the site of the original fish hatchery building, which began operations in 1921. In 2002, a new hatchery was built nearby.
For more information, click here.