We are living in the fastest paced world in history. We are all constantly on the go. On Memorial Day, the staff at Fox 2 is asking everyone to stop for just a moment and remember.
Remember the 4,400 troops that have died in Operation Iraqi Freedom. Remember the 2,100 killed in Operation Enduring Freedom. Remember that Michigan has sacrificed more than 200 lives in those conflicts since 2003.
This Memorial Day, Fox 2 salutes the men and women so committed to service to our country. Our goal is to honor service members, those we've lost and those still hard at work.
In the video player above, Sherry Margolis hosts a special show called "Tribute to Our Troops." The program aired commercial free thanks to Gardner-White Furniture.
Highlights from the program:
- Sherry Margolis spends some time with the family of Sergeant Kyle McClain who continue to live life after the paying the ultimate price of the cost of war; losing a loved one.
- Jennifer Hammond shows us how Tigers'pitcher Justin Verlander really stepped up to the plate for a group of veterans.
- Taryn Asher catches up with some workers from Home Depot who are getting the job done for military families in need.
- Roop Raj gets the 411 on the Willis Foundation, an organization that provides college scholarships for the children of fallen soldiers, information, click here.
- Captain Rich Luterman, a veteran of the Air Force, meets a man who was in Beirut during the 1983 bombing that killed hundreds of U.S. servicemen.
- Ryan Ermanni tells the story of a Grosse Pointe South soccer team that learned a new meaning to the term "mark up."
- Sherry Margolis meets with one of the millions of American women who took on the role of 'Rosie the Riveter' during World War II.
- Maurielle Lue tells the story of a young mother in Ferndale who is doing everything she can to keep the memory of her husband alive.
- The final video is a tribute to those in Michigan who lose their lives while serving their country.