Cold Case: Wheelchair-bound man killed in hit and run

A man in a wheelchair is hit and left for dead by a semi-truck driver. That was 2014. Two years later, no arrests have been made.

- It's been two years since her 27-year-old son was killed by a hit-and-run driver. Now, a Detroit woman is making an emotional plea for justice.

Camilla McKoy said the pain she felt when Anthony died in 2014 still hasn't gone away.

"It's like somebody kicked me in the stomach. for a whole year, I walked around and said he would come back through the door. Today I realized he's not." McKoy said. "there's days I can't sleep, can't eat and I find myself very angry and I'm wondering do they have a heart?"

On that fateful day, May 13, 2014, the joy of her life was taken from her. It was 4 a.m. and Anthony, wheel-chair-bound, got off work late. He was taking the bus and when he got off near Grand River and West Grand Boulevard, a truck ran him over.

"Anthony had he right of way. It was a truck that hit him."

The semi-truck left him in the middle of the street, where he took his last breath.

"The worst thing is to lose a child. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy, I always thought my son would bury me, not that I'd have to bury my child."

Last month, the family celebrated what would have been his 29th birthday. They had a cake and a party - but also an empty seat that served as a somber reminder to the life that was lost.

"No matter how bad it hurts, I'm gonna keep his memory alive."

McKoy says she tries not to think about the person who killed her son. The person who is still ou there, somewhere, living a life - all while she waits for them to come forward and own up to what happened.

"If you have a heart just give me some closure.  I forgave you. I just want some closure, that's all."

Anybody with information is asked to call police. 


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in - includes Advertiser Stories