DETROIT (WJBK) - Detroit Police say they erroneously reported to the media earlier on Thursday that a 2-year-old girl who was shot last night had died from her injuries.
Detroit Police Assistant Chief Steve Dolunt said in a 1 p.m. news conference that they had spoken to the girl's father, who says McKenzie Oldham is still alive and in critical condition. Detroit Police called FOX 2 early Thursday morning and reported the little girl had died.
McKenzie was sitting in a car with her father outside of a house in the 16,400 block of Fairmount Drive when her father and another man got into a fight just after 8 p.m. The other man walked away and came back with a gun and started shooting. McKenzie was struck in the head. Her father was not struck.
The man who was wanted in the shooting, Cleveland Smelley, has been taken into custody. He was found at a hotel in Oak Park at Eight Mile Road and Hubbell Avenue Thursday afternoon. He was alone in the room when he was found.
Detroit police also say they have two other people in custody, who are believed to have been involved in the fight leading up to the shooting. Their names have not yet been released.
Dolunt also said in the news conference that police believe the argument started after a drink was spilled.
"You can't police stupid," he said.
This is a developing story. Stay with FOX 2 for updates.