16-year-old Taylor boy electrocuted by downed power line

- A teenager from Taylor was electrocuted Friday while trying to put out a fire in his backyard caused by a downed power line.

Austin Wohlfeil, 16, was killed Friday evening when a power line fell in his yard as a result of storm damage. He was attempting to put out flames that came from the sparking line when he was electrocuted.

Neighbors said he was a good, hardworking kid who was always willing to lend a hand and even mowed lawns up and down the street.

"He was a really fun, energetic person," said classmate Andrew Burks. "He always had a smile on his face no matter what. He was one of those people you really couldn't get him down."

DTE released a statement on the incident:

"DTE has learned that a young man was tragically electrocuted Friday night in Taylor by coming in contact with a down electrical line as a result of the storms moving through the area Friday evening. This is a tragic incident, and our thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of the young man. We are investigating the circumstances surrounding this event and we have no further details at this time.

The safety of our customers, the public and our employees is our top priority. When electrical equipment is damaged by storms, it can pose a serious hazard. DTE asks all residents to be mindful of their surroundings as crews continue to repair and restore down powerlines throughout the weekend, and practice the following safety procedures:
· Stay 20 feet away from any down line, as the line may still be active
· Heed the warning of yellow caution tape, which indicates there is a downed power line in the area
· DO NOT CROSS YELLOW CAUTION TAPE and tape protecting areas with downed wires reads: "Danger Live Wire - Keep Away"
· Be cautious of pets being outside in hard-hit areas."
Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in - includes Advertiser Stories